Sunday Dinner: Steak Dinner Recipe

I had a lazy Sunday and after eating mushroom, spinach homemade pizza for lunch, I was ready for some protein when dinner came around.  I've realized cooking for two that it doesn't take a long time to put together a gourmet meal at home.  It's a nice treat.  I still have to learn more about buying steaks cause this one that I chose was a bit tough and chewy and it was still a nice Sunday dinner.

Roast Steak

I basically read this article from Esquire on How to Cook a Steak

I put steak spice on the steaks before searing them in a non-stick frying pan on medium heat.  Then I transferred the steaks to a baking sheet and cooked them in the oven at 400 degrees for the remaining time.  When removing the steaks - be CAREFUL - there will be steak fat that will drip from the pan that can start an oven fire.  Next time I will put the steaks in baking pan or dish with deeper sides.

Onion and Mushroom Sauce
10 sliced mushrooms
1/4 onion sliced
1/2 cup of red wine
Use the same frying pan that you seared the steak in.  Fry the onion, add red wine to help scrape the steak spice in the pan.  Add the mushrooms and simmer on low.

Mashed Potatoes
I had a small bag of yellow fleshed baby potatoes so I boiled them skin on and mashed them when ready.

Blanched Broccoli
While the potatoes are boiling, you want to blanch the brocolli in the potato water.  I love this trick and it's a great time saver.  I no longer need to boil another pot of water just to steam broccoli.  Dip the entire broccoli crown in the water and chop into pieces after it's cooked.