Hong Kong Style Chicken Curry

I have a few ladies at work who decided to join me for a lunch club.  It's a pretty random lunch meaning that we don't have any schedule and just will decide randomly when we want to do "lunch club."  Essentially when we do decide, we each choose a day to cook lunch for the others.  It's a great way to save money and have lunch at work without thinking of the variety of lunches to cook.  Also when I eat other people's cooking, it feels like I'm eating from a restaurant.  A home chef lunch just for me!

This is also a time when I can cook dishes that my husband doesn't like.  He hates curry but I have my cravings at times for Hong Kong Style Chicken Curry so that's what I cook for lunch club.  

I found this easy recipe on Chatelaine for Hong Kong Style Chicken Curry:  http://www.chatelaine.com/recipe/world-cuisine-2/hong-kong-chicken-thighs-curry-recipe/ and it makes enough for 4 servings which is perfect for lunch club.  

My modifications:  I have made this with organic light coconut oil which reduces the fat but also makes it less thick which I don't mind since often I forget the rice and eat this more like a stew (low carb).  I omit the cilantro because I don't like the taste of it.  Also I have made this with bone in chicken thighs and just increase the simmering time to 30-40 minutes.  That also helps to reduce the liquid.  

See the recipe from the Chatelaine website below:

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, sliced
2 tbsp curry powder
8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
1/2 tsp salt
398 ml can coconut milk
2 large carrots, sliced into coins
2 medium potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

INSTRUCTIONS

  • Heat a large wide frying pan over medium-high. Add oil, then onion and curry powder. Cook until onion starts to soften, 3 min. Sprinkle chicken with salt, then add to pan. Stir until coated.
  • Add coconut milk, carrots and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Gently boil, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 15 min. Remove lid and continue boiling until liquid is slightly thickened, about 5 more min. Stir in peas and cilantro and cook for 1 more min. Serve with rice.