Brunch - Waffles with Berry Sauce and Fresh Nectarines

Making brunch at home is something I look forward to.  It is the vision of Sunday brunch where you can sleep in and then have a gourmet breakfast in the comfort of your bed or couch or dining room table while in your pajamas.  I love my pajama days and that is what inspired me to start making gourmet breakfasts or brunches at home.

I decided to try a waffle breakfast with a berry sauce and whipped cream.  I had never made waffles before and wanted them to be as fluffy as possible even though I had the cheapest waffle iron.  The recipe from Something Swanky attracted me and so did the blog name.  I found this recipe from the website:  http://www.somethingswanky.com/easy-and-fluffy-belgian-waffles/

Easy and Fluffy Belgian Waffles
Ingredients
  •  1 3/4 c. AP flour
  • 1/4 cup corn starch
  •  2 tbsp. sugar
  •  1 tbsp. baking powder
  •  1/4 tsp. salt
  •  2 eggs
  •  1 3/4 c. milk
  •  1/2 c. cooking oil
  •  1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • a pinch of nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Instructions
  1. Preheat your waffle iron.
  2. Whisk all of the ingredients together in a large bowl until smooth.
  3. (Grease waffle iron before each use) Pour approximately 1/2 cup batter onto the hot waffle iron, and cook for 3:30 minutes, or to your liking.
  4. Serve hot and fresh with berries and whipped cream!

I made the whipped cream with my magic bullet and that was easier than expected.  I put 1/2 cup of fresh whipping cream in the magic bullet and it will stop when it has been whipped.  Remember to add sugar with it before you whip.  


I love making fresh berry sauce and since my fresh local strawberries were overripe, they were perfect for making the berry sauce topping.  
1 cup of strawberries (chopped), 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, handful of sugar and boil on medium high heat until the strawberries and blueberries break down.  Remember to stir frequently so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.  

I order a local harvest box every month and this time it had fresh nectarines.  That was the perfect addition to my waffle breakfast.  Slice nectarine slices and add to the plate.  Ahh, my husband was impressed with my first Waffle breakfast with berry sauce and nectarine slices.