Brown Bag Lunch: Blueberry Loaf

On the weekend I gave my friend an extra loaf pan that I had and I realized that it would have been great to give her a bunch of loaf recipes to go with it.  The other weekend I made a Chocolate Beet Cake which was baking story in itself but in the end the unique taste won and it was an edible treat. 

This week I was planning to bake blueberry muffins but then thought about the loaf pan which led me to this Blueberry Loaf from Allreicpes.com. I chose this one because it has 4.5 star rating with simple ingredients.   It didn't take long to prepare at all and then the rest of the time is waiting for the aromas to fill up your kitchen.  It is a perfect snack to take in your brown bag lunch, or eat for breakfast (instead of a muffin), or for dessert at dinner.  All around this one is a winner!
 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk  (I used buttermilk instead)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
  • TOPPING:  (I used half of this topping)
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, milk and vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture just until combined. Gently fold in blueberries. Pour into a lightly greased and floured 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pan. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over top. Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.