Baking: Lemon Blueberry Bread or Blueberry Walnut Loaf Recipe

When I looked in my freezer, I realized that I still had a HUGE bag of local
blueberries from the summer.  What can I do with frozen blueberries?  Then I looked in my fridge and saw a few lemons that were looking a little sad.  So when you put the two together it creates a Lemon Blueberry Bread or Lemon Blueberry Loaf.  I love being able to just bake without having to pick up any extra ingredients at the grocery store.  The warmth of the oven is perfect for the rainy winter days.  

Instead of winter gloom, there will be the fresh taste of summer blueberries.  The recipe I used is from Allrecipes.com.  I didn't do the glaze because I thought the bread was sweet enough without it.  I also forgot the grated lemon zest so mine was more of a Blueberry Walnut Loaf which my husband loved!  So decide how you want to bake it and you will find out which taste is stronger.  For me it was a blueberry walnut loaf:    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/24843/lemon-blueberry-bread/

Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt

  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup white sugar

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan.
  2. In a mixing bowl, beat together butter, 1 cup sugar, juice and eggs. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir into egg mixture alternately with milk. Fold in lemon zest, nuts, and blueberries. Pour batter into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine lemon juice and 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl. Remove bread from pan and drizzle with glaze. Cool on a wire rack.