Baking: Lemon Pie Recipe

A few years ago a co-worker gave me a pie plate in the Christmas exchange with a non-bake recipe attached.  I tried and that recipe failed because I was my usual self and tried to modify and adapt it with what I had at home.  Lesson learned.  Ground coffee is not the same as instant coffee in recipes.

A year later and the topic of my pie plate has come up in conversation again.  This time I promised to make a pie for the staff potluck and bring it no matter what.  This was quite the challenge especially since I'm notorious for not testing recipes and not afraid to share my recipe experiments which is what this became.  My Lemon Pie Experiment.

The journey begins at 9pm when I am standing in line at the local grocery store to pick up the two items that I still needed to make the pie.  Cool whip dessert topping was also on the list but at the grocery store I realized I wouldn't be able to thaw the dessert topping in time to prepare the pie for the next day.  Luckily I had some whipped cream at home which I substituted from the original recipe.

I used the Favourite Lemon Pie Recipe form My Strawberry Apron but tweaked it to adapt to the ingredients that I had in the kitchen.  Experiment was successful but I don't think I'll promise to make another pie anytime soon. 

Lemon Pie Recipe (Non-Bake)

Graham Cracker Crust
1 pack graham crackers
1/2 cup melted butter

Crush the graham crackers til they are fine.  Get your hands in the bowl and be 'the crusher'.  It feels strange at first but it is surprisingly rewarding when you do get the crackers to a fine graham cracker crust.  I mixed the graham cracker with the melted butter in a bowl first before I pressed it in the 15 inch pie plate.


Filling
1 can sweetened condensed milk (300ml)
1/2 cup whipped cream (sweetened with icing sugar)
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemons (4-5 small lemons)
1 tbsp grated lemon (I grated one full lemon)

In large bowl, mix sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, and lemon peel. Then stir/fold in the whipped topping. Pour filling into pie crust, garnish with lemon slices or powdered sugar, and chill about 1 or 2 hours before eating.

Lemon Pie (Non-Bake)