The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days: Mixed Berry Muffins


The first recipe from The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days book that I decided to try was the Mixed Berry Muffins on p 50.  It looked simple and I had all of the ingredients.  The main difference is that the ingredients are given in grams and ounces.  I tried to use my kitchen scale but thought it was easier to use a metric kitchen converter.  Everyone says that baking has to be exact but I have to say that these turned out fabulously converting grams to cups. 

I had frozen raspberries and blueberries that I defrosted in a bowl in the microwave.  Another kitchen tip is to be careful after you add the melted butter to the batter.  I have an electric hand mixer and wasn't prepared for a thin batter that can fly on your kitchen wall and yourself.  Of course, if you love baking, perhaps that's the fun part!  I'd just wear an apron next time.

My first experience with The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days books is a positive one.  Muffins have a great cakey texture but not as sweet as cake.  I'm loving that!  It's great to have recipes that are simple and make smaller batches.  This one made 12 muffins.  Great for singles and couples!