Cravings Cookbook - Pull-Apart Buttermilk Biscuits with Sausage Gravy

The first recipe I decided to try from Chrissy Teigen's Cravings Cookbook was the Pull-Apart Buttermilk Biscuits with Sausage Gravy fro breakfast.  I haven't baked any type of bread in so long but this recipe for buttermilk biscuits didn't require any yeast or rising time.  It was a simple recipe that even I could make.

That being said, I did mess it up.  Chrissy Teigen's Cravings Cookbook is nicely laid out with the instructions on how to make the buttermilk biscuits, sausage gravy and maple cream.  However I got a bit foolish by mixing ingredients and not reading properly.  I accidentally added 2 cups of buttermilk to the biscuit mix instead of 1 and a half.  No worries, I just added extra flour when I needed it and it worked.  The biscuits still baked beautifully.  Phew!

Instead of making maple cream, I just brushed straight maple syrup on the tops of the biscuits before baking them.  This gave them a nice golden glow on top.  

When I started making this breakfast, my husband was skeptical reminding me of a time when we in the USA and ordered biscuits and gravy and wondered about it all.  I have a poor memory and forgot all about that incident.  All I knew was that this was a true down south American breakfast that I wanted to try at home.  He commented on the white gravy and how it wasn't delicious so these were the words I heard before I made Chrissy Teigen's Cravings recipe.

What did I do?  I decided to make less gravy so the sausage gravy had more sausage instead of sauce.  Instead of 3 cups of milk, I only used 2 cups of milk for a thicker sausage gravy.  And the end result, it worked!  

What did I learn?  Cravings cookbook recipes are hard to screw up even for a lazy gourmet and beginner homechef like me.  My hubby ended up eating two full biscuits with sausage and gravy.  It was more delicious that his memory and gobbled up this American classic.

Will I make this again?  I feel that this breakfast is quite hearty and sinfully delicious.  I feel a bit guilty since I didn't serve it with a fruit salad or anything colourful. I feel I need a green smoothie to make up for it.  

Cravings Cookbook - Pull-Apart Buttermilk Biscuits with Sausage Gravy

Cravings Cookbook - Pull-Apart Buttermilk Biscuits with Sausage Gravy