Slow Cooker Recipe: Beef Stew

Slow cooker meals are fast and easy and great for the weekends when you're on the go.  That's exactly why I made this Beef Stew recipes.  I went to the gym, stopped off at the grocery store to pick up the ingredients, put everything in the slow cooker when I got home, and went out for the rest of the day doing errand.

When we got home all tired from being out and my husband asked the question:  "What's for dinner?".  It was so easy because dinner was simmering and ready and waiting for us in the slow cooker.  All the vegetables were inside.  Now that's fast and easy with no pots to clean.  I'm pretty sure you'll be seeing more of these.  

How did I find the recipe?  I googled "Slow Cooker Beef Stew" and the "All Recipes" link was the one at the top.  I took a quick look and it looked nice and easy so I followed along.  

What did I do differently?  I don't think I had 2 pounds of beef stew, maybe only 1.5 pounds of extra lean beef stew so I just threw flour on it til it was covered.  I omitted the salt and garlic.  Only had 2 potatoes, 2 carrots (but they were extra large) and 2 celery stalks.  I wanted a lean beef stew with lots of vegetables.  Even with my modifications of what I had in the kitchen, the beef stew turned out well.  I always love recipes that can adapt easily so that's a win:  

  • 2 pounds beef stew meat
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon paprika 
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups beef broth
  • 3 potatoes, diced
  • 4 carrots, sliced
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped


Directions


  1. Place meat in slow cooker. In a small bowl mix together the flour, salt, and pepper; pour over meat, and stir to coat meat with flour mixture. Stir in the garlic, bay leaf, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, onion, beef broth, potatoes, carrots, and celery.
  2. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 10 to 12 hours, or on High setting for 4 to 6 hours.