Brunch - Broccoli Cheese Crustless Quiche

One of the things I wanted to do was to integrated vegetables into breakfast or brunch.  That is when I discovered the Broccoli Cheese Crustless Quiche.  You have the broccoli and when my husband who is an "eggs and toast" man saw me chopping broccoli in the morning, he was doubtful.  "What?  Broccoli for breakfast?  Are you mad woman?"  Okay, I admit he might not have said those exact words but the doubt was there.  Luckily he made his morning coffee and left the kitchen.  Then I followed the recipe on Allrecipes.com for the Crustless Broccoli Cheese Quiche.  When it was ready and I served it with toast so my man could still have his "eggs and toast" the response was one of enjoyment and wonder.  It will stay on my breakfast menu as it was one healthy breakfast. 

My modifications:  I used a Mexican cheese combo that I had in my fridge, dried parsley instead of fresh, 3 cups of broccoli, and only the 4 eggs as that was all I had and reduced to 1 cup of milk.  I didn't want to overflow my glass pie plate.  Dijon mustard is the key to give it zip.  Turned out beautifully.  

Ingredients
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup vertically sliced onion
garlic clove, minced
5 cups broccoli florets
Cooking spray
1 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
large egg whites, lightly beaten
large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon grated fresh Parmesan cheese
(1-ounce) slices whole wheat bread, toasted

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 1 1/2 minutes. Add broccoli; sauté 1 minute. Spread broccoli mixture into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Combine milk and next 8 ingredients (milk through eggs) in a large bowl. Pour milk mixture over broccoli mixture; sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until top is golden and a knife inserted in center comes out clean; let stand 5 minutes. Serve with toast.