Brunch - Cheddar Smokie Poached Egg Hash

I was inspired to make this dish after going to White Spot Family Restaurant for brunch and tasting their new menu item, the Southwest Chorizo Hash  It was good but the taste was too strong with the spiciness of the chorizo sausage and the salsa.  I have more a milder taste bud and I realized that I could make a version at home and save money at the same time.  

I've played around with the same concept as the Southwest Chorizo Hash but made it milder by using Cheddar Smokies and instead of the salsa I serve it with half of a fresh avocado.  

Cheddar Smokie Poached Egg Hash

Hash browns - you can use store bough hash browns, but I prefer fresh homemade potato hash browns.  Chop up the potatoes and saute in butter on medium heat until the potatoes are nicely browned.  To save time, I will preboil the potatoes the night before and store them in the fridge.  Then in the morning, I chop up the potatoes and sauce in the frying pan with butter.

Cheddar smokies - while the hash browns are cooking, I boil water in a small pot to cook the smokies as per the directions on the package, this doesn't take very long.  Once the water has boiled and the smokies have floated to the top, I take them out and chop them up and heat them with the hash browns.  

Poached egg - in the same pot that I boiled the smokies, I bring the water to a boil to do the poached egg.  Break the egg into the pot and use a spoon to swirl the egg whites, and it also helps to add a teaspoon of vinegar to the boiling water.  

Preparation - Put the hash browns and smokies in the bowl.  Add the poached egg on top and then I add a few thin slices of jalapeno havarti on top of the poached eggs.  Chop half an avocado and add it to the bowl on the side.  Season with salt and pepper.  

Now you have a healthy breakfast made from scratch.  After I served this once, it has become my new signature weekend brunch dish that is better than eating out.  Not only did I save money but I discovered a way to make the dishes I make taste similar or better than the restaurant.  Now that's a money saving accomplishment!