Brown Bag Lunch: Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Orzo Salad

Whenever I go to the deli, I'm amazed at how many different salads that they have to offer.  And I have thought that it would be great to have a fridge that was like a deli with the different salad combinations and selection.  That would make packing lunch so easy.  Just salads to grab and go.  Now I'm not organized enough to have made three salads, but I'm happy to have made this one. 

Orzo is such a fun pasta shape so an orzo salad was a great choice.  What I liked about this recipe is that it's easy to make and it can be eaten hot or cold.  As summer approaches, it's nice to have a cold lunch.  With this salad you can heat it up or not, either way, it'll taste yummy!

This Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Orzo Salad recipe was found on Allrecipes.com website.  Instead of parmesan cheese, I added asiago cheese.  I don't have a food processor so I used my hand blender instead.  It still works but I can see the benefit of having a food processor for the sun dried tomato chunks to be smaller, however, even with my larger pieces, you do get the blend of tastes.



Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Orzo Salad Recipe
  • 2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
  • 1/3 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add orzo and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and set aside.
  2. Place basil leaves and sun-dried tomatoes in a food processor. Pulse 4 or 5 times until blended.
  3. In a large bowl, toss together the orzo, basil-tomato mixture, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Serve warm or chilled.