Money Saving Tip: Family pack of chicken breast had the chicken skin and bones inside but is a money saver. It only cost $2.50 for a large chicken breast. Great deal! I had to skin and debone the chicken breast but you just follow the bone line and it's worth the little extra effort.
Nutrition Tip: There are a lot of low calorie recipes that have chicken breasts because it is the healthier option.
The original recipe is from Chatelaine and they also have it online here. It's worth taking a look at the website for their meal planning ideas, recipes, and nutrition content.
Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into long, thin strips
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 2 1/2 cups grated monterey jack or mozzarella
- 8 small whole wheat flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 450F. Spray a baking sheet.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add 1 tbsp oil, then chicken. Sprinkle with salt. Cook until no pink remains, 5 to 6 min. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining oil to pan, then onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, pepper flakes and 1/2 of tomatoes. Cook until vegetables soften, 2 to 3 min. Add spinach and stir until wilted. Remove from heat. Stir in chicken, any juices and 1 cup grated cheese.
- Divide chicken mixture into 8 portions. Scoop a portion into centre of each tortilla. Roll into a cigar shape around filling. Place seam-side down on baking sheet, spacing 1 in. apart. Flatten slightly, then top with remaining tomatoes and cheese.
- Bake in centre of oven until cheese melts, about 5 min. Sprinkle with parsley.