Brown Bag Lunch: Lasagna and Brussel Sprouts Recipe


This week I have leftover lasagna to bring for my brown bag lunch.  Lasagna is a great meal because it makes enough to feed 8 people so if you are making it for 4, you have plenty of leftovers.  Also it's a meal that tastes better the next day.   I got my recipe inspiration from the Pioneer Woman's Lasagna recipe here.   I made modifications because I didn't know who my dinner guests would be and if they could eat red meat or not. My lunch container looked empty and I had some brussel sprouts in the fridge so that helped me find this excellent brussel sprouts recipe from the Food Network.  I used snow peas instead of snap peas and red pepper instead of orange.  I also had nice local brussel sprouts from my SFU Harvest box which might have made all of the difference.  
Lasagna Recipe
1-2 lbs ground turkey
1 onion
1 pepper, diced 
1 celery, diced
1/4 zuchinni, chopped
24 oz can of whole tomatoes
1 can of herbed tomato paste
12 lasagna noodles (whole wheat or white; I used both)
Italian spice blend (oregano, basil, parsley)
2 cups cottage cheese 
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup parmesan
1/2 bag grated mozarella Italian cheese mix
Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
Saute onion, pepper, celery, zuchinni in olive oil in a frying pan on medium high heat.  Remove.
Cook ground turkey in frying pan.  Remove excess oil.  Add vegetables, tomatoes, tomato paste and herbs.  Simmer on low for 30 mins.
Boil lasagna noodles in salted water until al dente or tender based on your taste.  
In a mixing bowl, add cottage cheese, egg and parmesan cheese.  
Assemble the lasagna in a 9x13 baking pan.  
Bit of tomato meat sauce on bottom, lasagna noodle, 1/2 cottage cheese mixture, layer of mozerella cheese, lasagna noodles, 1/2 meat mixture, lasagna noodles,  remaining cottage cheese, lasagna noodles, remaining meat mixture and top with mozerella cheese.
Bake in oven for 30 - 45 mins.