Weeknight Dinner: Whole Wheat Homemade Pizza

I looked in my cupboard and saw a jar of pizza sauce so it's a chance for me to try making pizza from scratch at home. I found in my old cookbook that a friend gave me in high school.  It's one where you write down your favorite recipes.  There was a recipe for pizza dough.

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
1 tsp sugar
1 cup warm water
1 pkg yeast
1.5 cups of flour
1.5 cups of whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil

In a large bowl dissolve sugar in warm water.  Sprinkle yeast over water for 10 mins.  Meanwhile combine flours and salt.  Stir oil into foamy yeast mixture.  Stir in half of flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time.  Add more flour til it's a sticky ball ( I only used 2 cups total).  Knead dough 5 mins.  Cover and rest 10 mins.

If you are making this the night before, after it has risen, punch down and cover and put lightly oiled bowl to keep in the fridge.

Roll dough to fit lightly oiled pans or baking sheets (separate dough in half).  Let dough rise and add toppings.  Bake in 450 degrees oven for 8-12 mins.  It's ready when the cheese has melted and pizza is golden.

I used what was in my fridge for my pizza topping which included mushrooms, yellow pepper and mozerella cheese.  This was a quick meal that turned out to be easier to make than expected.  I always imagined that making any kind of dough or bread takes a long time but now I know I will be making homemade pizza again.  Next time I want to do a deluxe vegetarian pizza.