You know how you look for recipes on the internet and bookmark your favourite ones hoping that you'll remember to try it out one day. I did just that with this recipe from MarthaStewart.com. You'll notice though I did my own variation with turkey instead of chicken. For some reason I was a fast chef and my boyfriend was even surprised that I could finish a meal with homemade biscuits in 15 minutes even though the recipe said 40 minutes. Here's my variation that's fast and easy. While the biscuits are baking I put together the rest and they were done at the same time Now that's fast chopping. My variation suits 2 people. We both had seconds and gobbled it up. Great idea for your turkey leftovers:
Turkey and Biscuits
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup low-fat (1 percent) milk
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1/4 chopped red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 - 2 cups boneless turkey, diced
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together whole-wheat flour, 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg white, 3 tablespoons oil, and 1/4 cup milk; add to flour mixture, and stir until moistened. Drop four 1/4-cup scoops of dough onto a baking sheet, at least 2 inches apart. Bake until golden, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 5-quart Dutch oven or large heavy pot, heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high. Add carrots, celery, and onions; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle vegetables with remaining 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour; stir in remaining 3/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup water, and thyme. Simmer until liquid is thickened, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes. Add turkey; simmer until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve chicken stew with biscuits.